Sunday, February 8, 2009

Movie Review - He's Just Not That Into You

Ok, so I get the chance to grab my homie and catch a chick flick, He's Just Not That Into You.

Now, I have to admit entering the movie theater at my age (41) was a bit intimidating. Does everyone have to be under 30 to catch a chick flick? So I was beginning to think I should have just went to see The Dark Knight in IMAX (but I would hate to have to come home and have hubby tell me what dork I was for seeing it again). (Although I want to see it again badly.....)

But I like chick flicks because it creates dialogue among women. On an average day, I work, take care of house, spend time with hubby and sons so I dont get much 'girly-time'. Meaning that I can't expect to talk to my family about hair, lotions, gaining weight, etc. And even though I cant really relate to dating issues - I just like to hear what other women are going through. Its just like seeing someone with a great haircut, I may not want that style for myself, but I can appreciate it and like it.

So I welcome the time with my homie, A. She is a mom of 2 beautiful daughters. So she also needed a break from watching just Disney crap and High School Musical. Sorry Disney, your stuff is legendary but as moms, we can kinda OD on your products after a bit.

This movie is a 4 out of 5 stars. It was enjoyable, interesting and funny. It has a ton of celebs like Jennifer Aniston, Ben Affleck, Scarlett Johansson, and a ton more that you would recognize from other movies and shows like Entourage and Dawsons's Creek.

This flick is about dating and finding the right mate for you. The main characters either are conflicted about their current relationship or currently looking to enter a relationship.

What was a telling part about the movie was the beginning when a girl gets beat up by a boy in the sand box and how her mother consoles her with the whole 'he likes you, that's why he beat you up'. And how men and women can be twisted about certain signals we get from others (are they interested/they arent interested) -- ahh, confusing. Anyway, its a great movie! Go grab your friends - male and female and go check it out! Yes, I do think a guy would enjoy this too. Its not heavily sex and city like -- that is a pure gal thing!

Oh, I have to add this! As an african-american woman, I loved the way there were people of color all over this movie. None were in a leading role, but many were in party scenes, an open house, dining out, etc. I like this because it represents the country that we live in -- a multi-cultural one!


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1001508

No comments: