Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Hair Update - October 2009

well, i should really call this hair update... how my transition ended!!!

Now I haven't had a relaxer in my hair since June 2008. If anyone has followed my blog, I have am kinda lazy as far as hair care is concerned.

I really do not see myself spending hours on my hair. Now, I will run out and buy products to see how well they can get me into my transition.

Well, for the summer I've just had a hands off approach to my hair. Just conditioner, some deep conditioning, some color (temporary only) and just a bit of shampoo. This did my hair some good. I noticed such a difference in the feel and length of my hair.

I also had my hair blown out twice at the Dominican salon. I have always loved getting my hair done from the Dominicans. I love the way my hair would have body and bounce.

So, I go in September to get my blow out. I was trying to prepare myself to go once a month or so with the fall and winter months coming up. But as I am getting my hair done, I am not happy with the heat. I got a trim to even my ends and my hair looks good but I no longer feel the same way about straight hair. My funky looking wavy, kinky hair looks way more fun and different.

Now this weekend, I decide to wash my hair. My scalp was kinda gross. So I deep conditioned with a plastic cap for 2 hours and shampooed twice. To my surprise, what did I see in my hands as I was rinsing? MY HAIR!!

It looked as if someone pulled a lot of weave from my head!!

What was a switch, was although I was alarmed, I wasn't panicked. I looked in the mirror, grabbed my robe and ask my son did my hair look different. He said no. My hair looked like a cute short shaggy chin-length bob.

I looked at the hair and realized that this was all straight. It is my damaged permed hair from the midsection of my head. This was probably the oldest hair on my head. The weird thing about this... is that my hair looks better. Its even too, like I cut it.

My feelings are very different from last year this time.

Last year I was so tired of being a slave to my hair. Actually a slave to perming my hair fully knowing that my hair was being damaged more and more.

Today, I fully understand that my hair is fragile. It must be cared for. I must stay away from heat as much as possible. I must be patient if I want length and healthy hair.

And most of all I really love my new hair that is growing in. I have faith that I can take care of it without relaxers. And I am having fun with my hair. I really enjoy using new products to see how they work on my hair.

So here is to new hair, stronger hair, and not being a slave to straight hair!

No comments: