Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Hair Update

I had my last relaxer in early October 2008.

Since then I've been on every possible blog regarding transitioning hair and natural hair care.

So how is my hair doing?

Its ok!

My hair isn't excessively shedding like before. Yes, my bathroom floor isn't covered with my hair anymore!

My hair does feel a bit stronger and looks healthy - another yay! Not sure if its the biotin, changing my eating habits, increase in water intake, various hair products or no relaxer.

I go for a wash, deep condition and occasional rinse (brown or black color) at the local Dominican salon every 2-3 weeks (as my time allows). I also don't want to get too addicted to them. So I make sure that these visits aren't a priority. I still need to relearn how to care for my own hair. I also don't want to rely so heavily on the heat.

Hair growth??

There has been some. My last salon trim was in June 2008. I did a light trim of my own hair in December. Just dusted off the ends. My hair is still chin length. So I am getting impatient! But I have to remind myself that when I check out everyone else's blogs and hair journeys - it really averages about 2 years of caring for the hair, laying off the chemicals and experimenting with styles and products.

I can see the growth in my kitchen (hair in the lower part of the head).

Transitioning?

My take is that its a great thing. I'm glad I'm doing it and wish that I had done it years ago. What a waste to be a slave to a chemical that ended up doing damage to my tresses.

I am not a style queen. I could never braid or really style hair. This was ok when I had long hair. The pony tail was my favorite and for special occasions just sleep on rollers. But I really love checking out the natural sisters with their very funky hair styles. If my head wasn't so big I would just chop my hair off and start from scratch.

So while I transition, I still wear a straight bob.

Now the thing I do find a bit disappointing - is that since I found a number of key products that I like and back up products to experiment with -- I can't justify trying anymore hair products.

Yep -- I don't see many new products ending up in my basket. At least not until I get rid these current products -- which isn't anytime soon.

I hope for my next update that I can really say that I've had MAJOR improvement in the hair department -- we'll see.

Check my next posting for my current routine and products that I like!

Ideas and thoughts are always welcome!

No comments: