Monday, February 16, 2009

hair decision

I had my last relaxer the first week of October. So for the past few months, I've been reading everyone's hair blogs on how to care for hair - whether curly, natural, transitioning using heat or not using heat or just stretching their relaxers.

At one point I was ready to big chop then the next moment I was about to go back to relaxing. I didn't know if I was transitioning, stretching or what I was doing. This also goes back to the point that I cannot style my own hair. Never have! I grew up with pigtails, pony tails, and roller sets. So trying to figure out how to style my hair has a lot to do with my decision.

As an adult I relied on salons to care for my hair. When I couldn't go to the salon or a stylist moved - I was stuck!

Even now, I scour all the sites for styles and I'm still stuck, but I am no longer intimidated by my hair. I got rid of the fear and I get in the bathroom shampoo, condition, blow dry, sit under the dryer, etc.

I've reflected on how my mom cared for my hair growing up - when my hair was the healthiest, strongest, thicker and longer. And while her regimen is considered taboo these days (hot comb, plenty of grease) - it worked!

So, the decision I've come to... is that I will remain natural. I will not relax anymore. I will not big chop. I will work with my hair as much as I can. I will visit the new Dominican salon that I found right in my own neighborhood right in upstate NY. So I don't feel that I have to make a trip to Rosalina's in Harlem.

Now... have I had major growth or any hair breakthroughs? No. My kitchen (hair at the nape) is still not looking the way I want it which limits my styling choices. But I do have less breakage. My hair is still very dry.

My next step is to continue moisturizing my hair, continue to try new products as needed and make the occasional salon visit.

So far in my hair journey I've found a few products and regimens that have helped a bit.

* moisturizing my scalp
* deep conditioning every time I wash at home or at the salon
* occasional temporary color (i dont mind my grey but sometimes its a bit much)
* silk scarf and satin pillow
* taking biotin daily
* simple styles (i know... boring, but so am I)
* only experiment with hair on wash day
* wash hair every two weeks (I started this in February, before I washed weekly)
* more water, veggies and fruit and exercise daily
* not to measure growth or worry about my hair
* no more bad hair dressers (I will not tolerate any salon that is ghetto, makes me wait to long, is too pricey or the stylist is rude)

I was getting to the point where I was obsessing about my hair, products and growth. This was unhealthy. I reviewed many other hair blogs and realized that with care, gentleness, the right products and most importantly... time - which could be years - that hair will be healthy and grow. So for me to think that in a couple of months I could grow my hair... not happening (I was fooling myself). Now am I planting the seeds for future stronger hair - I hope so!

I have a few more product reviews and other ideas - so keep checking and feel free to comment on any of my postings. I welcome all ideas, thoughts, products and your experiences!

1 comment:

AJ said...

This sounds like a good regimen! The problem with me is that I eat way too much diet soda and not enough water, so yeah my hair is looking a bit lackluster these days. I do find that the more natural a product, the better my hair responds. I like to keep it simple by shampooing with Dr. Bronner's castille (my favorite is the lavender). Deep condition with a extra virgin olive oil hot oil treatment and daily maintenance with 100 percent shae butter and a mix of water/peppermint oil.

I am on my 2nd big chop after cutting off my elbow length bradelocz in august of 07. Now, I am growing it all out into a Big Angry Fro like one Ms. Angela Davis. :)

Thanks for the comment on my blog. How'd you find me/