Monday, February 16, 2009

Product Review - Carol's Daughter Hair Milk and Healthy Hair Butter

So for the past couple of months, I've been in and out of Sephora trying to decide whether to try out the Carol's Daughter products. I didn't know where to start. So I researched online and after all the information... I still didn't know what to buy. I was just about to walk out the store last week and I turned around and bought the Hair Milk and Healthy Hair Butter.

Now as a former NYC resident I remember hearing sisters rave about CD's products back in the mid-nineties. But upon further reflection, I remember everyone raving about the skin care products.

I also didn't want to rush into purchasing more products because of the recent hype and because I wanted to use up other products. Its hard doing product reviews because you want to give a clear and honest review. I don't want to get a free product and feel forced to give a positive review. I also don't want to read everyone else's hype and swept up into it.

I remember how I would try a new product or go to a friend's salon and would agree with 'oh, this is great, I love this'. But would realize later - what was great about that? So I try to keep a very open mind, use the product more than once, not overlap with other products, enjoy the experiment and share with you.

Back to Carol's Daughter. I was surprised to see on someone else's blog they shared their negative opinion about the products around the same time. I was hoping I could like them.

I applied the butter to my scalp. It took some rubbing in and just a dab will do. I parted and applied and ignored the smell.

I took the milk and applied to my hair and ignored the scent. I put my scarf on and removed a few hours later before heading out the door and my hair looked nice. It had a nice sheen to it.

Now my hair was done earlier at the Dominican salon so my hair was already shiny. But after a Dominican salon visit I always moisturize my scalp when I have a chance. So that's why I used the butter instead of my usual oil scalp treatment.

I did this routine for a few days and I'm not too happy with my CD products. They leave buildup and my scalp feels dry. I like what they do for my hair but don't love what they do. I don't have time to shampoo every few nights. And did I mention the smell?

So after a few nights use of the products - I'm kinda ticked off. Is it me? Why aren't I feeling these products. Why can't I get over the smell? Is it only for natural hair?

So I decided to try again.

I shampooed my hair, deep conditioned, toweled dry and then applied the hair milk. I rolled up my hair, sat under the dryer for 20 minutes and then air dried for a couple of hours. I took out the rollers and my hair looked pretty good. My curls looked nice and strong. I finger styled and was kinda surprised still.

So I have found a use for the hair milk on days when I want to curl my hair without using lots of heat.

I will keep up experimenting with the hair milk.

As far as the butter is concerned.... I don't know. I want to like it but my scalp is still dry. I guess I can add a bit of EVOO but I honestly cannot justify buying an expensive product just to add my own products to it.

All in all, CD's products are not the miracle products for my hair. I don't want to knock anyone that enjoys the products, but honestly, what is the big deal? I can see where these products would last a long time. But this is where reading all the hype comes in... after reading about these products, did I expect something more than CD could deliver?

Anyway, I may see if my kids want to try the hair butter (they keep their hair short and natural) and I'll see if they see any difference. They get all my shampoos that I no longer want to use. I like their opinion because as 16 years olds they don't care about hair product names or read hair blogs and will give me a true opinion of how their natural hair takes to the products.

No comments: