Thursday, January 1, 2009

growing....

When I was growing up my Mom would just hot comb my hair. She always told me never to be like my Auntie in Brooklyn and put chemicals in my hair. All chemicals pull your hair out, even dyes.

I questioned this because although my mom's hair was a bit longer then bsl and although she could rock her salt and pepper hair... I just couldn't stand the thickness of my hair, hated the hot comb and the thought of not ever coloring my hair.

My friends all got relaxers and could keep their styles all day long. Their hair looked great. They also didn't suffer under the hot comb. Because with thick hair, washing and hot combing was a lengthy process.

I though of my mom as boring. All she did was put her hair up in a bun - day in and day out.

So at 19, I had a friend put in a relaxer. Because like everyone told me... my hair would sit and lay down better. I've been a slave to the relaxer and hair stylists ever since.

Also, I was tired of ponytails. My hair was past my shoulders and I found the ponytail to be a way of keeping my beastly hair tame.

But I listened to everyone that said that i need to wear my hair out, stop being boring, etc.

Well, fast forward to now. I'm 41 and my hair is in bad shape. I have breakage and my hair hasn't grown past my chin since I was about 2002.

As of September, I been on the internet daily and am seeking some serious help for my damaged hair.

And on every message board/blog - everyone is proudly stating how they are lessening the chemicals, going natural, learning to style their own natural hair, how to free theirselves from the salons and how to keep your hair in protective styles, etc.

Mom was right to a certain extent. I should have listened to her more than anyone else because...I was a bald headed baby and by time I was 4 had shoulder length hair because of her.

So now since I've been seriously concentrating on my hair for the past few months - it has been a task. I feel a bit like I am obsessing but then again... it matters to me. I haven't had healthy hair for several years and it shows.

So hopefully, I can check back here frequently to see my growth... hair and otherwise.

Please feel free to share your stories and comments.

No comments: